Coinciding with the Spring Equinox, the month of the Alder Moon is a time to focus on balance and fertility.
The Celtic month of Alder runs from mid-March to mid-April. Significantly, this is a period that includes the Spring Equinox, the day on which the return of spring is celebrated and night and day are of equal length. Falling at the start of spring, this period symbolizes the reawakening of the Earth Mother’s fertility.
Growth and Fertility
The Alder month heralds a time of accelerated growth, and the spells you cast during this period can aid any business or creative ventures you undertake, bringing your ambitions closer to fruition. Your emphasis during the month of the Alder Moon should be on harnessing our hidden potential.
Focusing on the Moon’s influence during this month will also help you bring a sense of balance to your work. The power of the Alder Moon will be able to unite your intuitive side with a pragmatic approach to planning.
FERTILITY AND COURAGE
The alder tree is also known as the King of the Waters (with the willow tree as its Queen), because its natural habitat is near lakes, rivers and streams. It actually grow with its roots in the water and its branches in the air and for this reason is associated with the balancing of female and male energies.
Symbols of Fertility
When the wood of the alder tree is cut, it turns from white to red, both of which are colors long associated with the Goddess’s fertility. The buds of the alder tree also grow in spirals that are a symbol of regeneration and a reminder of the cycle to come.
Wood for Weapons
The Celts traditionally used charcoal made from the alder tree in the making of their weapons. This work was carried out in the spring – in preparation for the hunting season ahead.
In Welsh mythology, the alder fought in the front line of the “Battle of the Trees” against the Underworld. When cut, its wood turns from white to red as though it is bleeding. Growth near water, the tree has feminine associations, yet its links to war also indicate masculinity. The Alder, therefore, speaks of balancing masculine and feminine.
ALDER MOON MAGIC
The month of the Alder Moon is the ideal time to focus on balancing your life, setting new goals for yourself and working to achieve them with energy and enthusiasm.
The Yin-Yang is a symbol of male and female energies in perfect balance, and is an ideal symbol to use in meditation. Remember to wear comfortable clothes and relax your body.
1. Look at the Yin-Yang and let your gaze become blurred. Close you eyes while holding the image in your mind.
2. Concentrate on letting your in-breath become equal in length to your out-breath.
3. Focus on the Yin-Yang symbol and let other thoughts drift away.
During the month of the Alder Moon, try to bring more balance into your life with the following tips:
Balance Your Books
Check your bank balance. Always in the red? Find four ways you can economize this month. Small symbolic steps let the powers of the universe know that you are ready for some big changes.
Are you eating a balanced diet? Remember that your body is a temple. Valuing yourself is the first step to getting what you want.
Balance Your Emotions
Take up Yoga or Tai Chi during the Alder Moon. The balance of spirituality and physical exercise stimulates feelings of well-being. your improved posture will radiate poise and confidence to the outside world.
Drink Plenty of Water
Take your lead from the alder tree: drink plenty of water and breathe deeply. If you follow these simple rules, you will find you have more energy to make your dreams come true this spring.
Chocolate Love Ritual
You Will Need:
- A chocolate Easter egg
- A pin
- A red candle*
1. Create a romantic setting in the room you wish to use for your rite with soft music and scented candles.
2. Sit facing your partner, look into each other’s eyes and breath deeply.
3. Light the candle, then take it in turns to say these words to each other: “Beneath this Alder Moon I offer my love to you, may it grow ever stronger and ever clearer. So may it be.”
4. Both use the pin to scratch four things you love about each other onto the chocolate egg.
5. Have fun feeding each other pieces of the egg.
6. Let the red candle burn down. Your love will grow in the year ahead.
* A red dye can be produced from alder bark. Utilize this association with red by using red candles in spells cast under the Alder Moon.
“Enhancing Your Body, Mind and Spirit”, 21 Nature Magic, CARD 8.
The Blue Roebuck, “Alder“.
Celticradio.net, “Celtic Zodiac: The Alder“.
The Goddess Tree, “Alder“.