The lunar month of Ash is the perfect time to travel or just to plan your path ahead in every aspect of your life.
In ancient Europe, the ice began to thaw during the Ash Moon. People ventured out of their homes for the first time since the dark days of late fall. It is maybe for this reason that this month is linked with journeys. Focus magic on transformation, moving you to a new space physically or spiritually.
Taking Time Out
The month of the Ash Moon is a good time to start planning your summer vacation and acclimatize your body to being outside. Cast spells that take your inner energies on an excursion by harnessing natural forces, such as floating wishes downstream in a paper boat, or blessing a feather and letting it fly in the wind. Valentine’s Day also occurs near the time of the Ash Moon, so cast a love spell that focuses on sharing your journey in the year ahead with someone special.
A SACRED TREE OF MAGIC
The ash has always been revered as a magical tree. In Scandinavian countries the universe was believed to be composed of a giant ash called the Yggdrasil, and runes were traditionally made from ash wood. In Greece ash trees were sacred to Poseidon, the god of the sea and the wood was used to carve charms that protected against drowning.
The ash tree is the “Tree of Life,” and its winged seeds, called keys, represent the key to universal understanding.
Ash For the Sick
Ash is renowned for its healing powers. Sick children were passed through the ash branches, and a bowl of water and ash leaves by the sick-bed was an old remedy to speed recovery. In witchcraft, ash wood is traditionally used to make healing wands, and the leaves from the ash are used to boost the power of protection and increase prosperity incense.
The tree is also believed to cure warts: prick the tree with a min then use the pin to cross the wars tree tines saying, “Ash tree, ashen tree, pray by this wart off me,” and put the pin back in the tree. Hopefully, the warts will swiftly disappear!
ASH MOON MAGIC
Use Ash Moon spells to focus your mind through meditation or move your life in a new direction. Use this month to create a healing wand or cast a love spell.
Use the ash to attract good fortune in all your journeys, physical and metaphysical.
- Write a letter to the angels telling them what you want to change in your life and asking for help. Address it to paradise and “mail it” by burning the letter in a candle flame. Wait for you answer; it will come in unexpected ways.
- Draw in an image of your wish on a luggage label and attach to a kite. Fly the kite and ask the spirits of the wind to make it come true.
- Charge a feather; pass it through incense smoke and repeat a wish three times. Drop it from a bridge into a river to activate the magic.
A Healing Wand
Harness the healing powers of the ash to make a wand.
1. Lay your hands on an ash tree’s trunk and say: “Magical tree, I ask for a wand infused with your power to heal.”
2. Cut a branch the length of your forearm and the thickness of the base of your index finger.
3. Shave off the bark and decorate with a soldering iron: runes and spirals are appropriate.
4. Charge the wand by leaving it in spring water overnight. Use you wand whenever you are going to do some healing magic.
Practicing this technique during the Ash Moon will free your mind from stress and attract solutions to your problems. You will need a smudge stick, a bunch of herbs – usually white sage – that is used to “smudge,” or cleanse, and area with smoke.
1. Light a smudge stick, then take time to relax and breathe deeply.
2. Direct the smoke around your body, taking time to cleanse your aura, and say: “Spirit, I walk this journey and invite you to join me. May each step be sacred.”
3. Take a walk through nature. Everything on your journey has a message for you, so relax and enjoy.
4. On your return, write down any animals you encountered and unusual sights or flashes of inspiration you received.
Ash Love Spell
Valentine’s Day falls close to the Ash Moon, so cast a spell to attract romance.
You Will Need
- Red candle
- Valentine’s card
- Three red rose petals
- Red pen
1. Light the candle saying, “Flame of desire, light the fire, three kisses and love will come.”
2. Kiss each rose petal and place them in the card.
3. Close the envelope and seal with red wax.
4. Send the card to your lover, or carry it as a talisman to attract love.
“Enhancing Your Body, Mind and Spirit”, 21 Nature Magic, CARD 7.
The Goddess Tree, “Ash“.
Celticradio.net, “Celtic Zodiac: The Ash“.
Spiritblogger.wordpress.com, “Spirit Message of the Day – Spirit Message of the Day – Transformation by Creation“.