The lunar month of Rowan offers you the opportunity to strengthen your resolve and nurture your dreams.
This point in the agricultural calendar is marked by the plowing of the soil to prepare it for the seed; any magic performed now is groundwork. The surface of the earth appears barren, but the life-force is stirring beneath. Ask yourself what you need to prepare to plant the seeds of your dreams this year.
The White Month
The Celtic fire festival of Imbolc (February 2) falls in the Rowan Moon, and is associated with the Goddess Brigid, to whom the festivities are dedicated. Also known as Bride, She represents the mother of the newborn Sun, and all candle magic is sacred to Her. During the Rowan Moon, wear white to cast spells, use white candles, and feast on white foods to attune to the season.
THE TREE OF PERSEVERANCE
The rowan terrain or mountain ash often grows on craggy mountains, higher than any other tree. Its ability to flourish in bleak places teaches you perseverance. The rowan berries reveal a natural pentagram at their base – a symbol of the womb of the Earth Goddess and of protection. These physical attributes give the tree associations of healing and guardianship.
The rowan berry has a tiny five-pointed star or magical pentagram (an important symbol in magical traditions) opposite its stalk. This explains why it was worn, hung in doorways or planted near houses to offer protection against evil forces.
Sprays of rowan berries were once hung in cattle barns to protect livestock from disease and sorcery. The leaves and berries can also be used to make a divination incense, and carrying the bark is believed to promote healing in the bearer. The name “rowan” even comes from the same root as the word “rune”, in its meaning as a charm.
ROWAN MOON MAGIC
The Wheel of Bride
This protective charm represents the waxing energies of the Sun and can be hung in the home to attract good luck.
1. Collect two straight sticks of rowan or mountain ash wood. Leave an offering of thanks on a branch, such as a strand of hair, thread or ribbon.
2. Hold the sticks in a cross and say, “Spirits of this wood, I bring you together for the good of all.”
3. Bind the sticks into an equal-armed cross and secure with red thread. As you do this, visualize a powerful white light.
4. Hold the charm up to the Sun and say: “Behold the Wheel of Bride, blessed be.”
Use this meditation and a magic mirror to help increase your psychic powers.
1. Prop up a round mirror on a table, surrounded by rowan leaves, berries and three white candles. Close your eyes and say aloud, “My Lady, open my inner eye to grant clear vision.”
2. Focus on the center of your forehead and “direct” your breathing on this spot.
3. Half-open your eyes and gaze in the mirror. Focus on your breath and register any images that drift into your mind. Repeat this process regularly and your visions will improve.
Combine the magic of the Rowan Moon with the candle magic of Imbolc.
1. Fill a small pot with earth and then hold a white candle in your right hand. Concentrate on what you want to grow this year.
2. Plant the candle in the soil saying: “Mother Brigid, I ask you to nurture my dream, may it grow with your blessed light.”
3. Light the candle and see its flame expand, taking strength from the Sun.
4. After seeking the help of the Goddess through candle magic, plant a seed as an offering of thanks to Her in a favorite place and wait for your wish to grow.
Attune to the Moon
- Harness the growing potential of the Rowan Moon in your life and make a new start by following these resolutions.
- Begin spring cleaning now. As the light increases, you need to clear out your clutter with all your energy to make way for new growth.
- Have a Rowan Moon dinner party and ask you guests to wear white, dine by candlelight and eat seeds such as beans, pulses and nuts.
- Look for the first snowdrops of the season and make a wish when you see one. Snowdrops hold potential of spring.
- Tie a white ribbon on a rowan tree while saying the names of those you love. The tree will send out healing vibrations to them.
“Enhancing Your Mind, Body and Spirit”, 21 Nature Magic, CARD 6.
The Goddess Tree, “Rowan“.