The 13th Lunar month of the Celtic calendar is Elder. This tree marks a time of endings and beginnings.
The Elder Moon is the last month in the cycle of the 13 Celtic Moon months, and it indicates the renewal of energy and continuous journey of the soul toward greater happiness and understanding. The Winter Solstice, the shortest day and longest night occurs during Elder Moon and is the chance to focus on your heart’s desire.
The Elder Moon is time to bring a halt to habit-forming patterns that have restricted your growth, so that you may heal and move on. Evaluate what you learned during the past year and give yourself time to work out what you want from life. Perform spells that conclude the annual cycle and release the energy you invested in previous projects and endeavors, so that you may concentrate on conceiving your new dreams for the New Year.
TREE OF LIFE AND DEATH
The elder tree’s ability to recover when damaged has made it a symbol of regeneration since ancient times, and for this reason it was used in burial rites in British long barrows, an ancient style of grave. Due to its white flowers (life) and black berries (death), the tree is also sacred to the Mother Goddess who governs birth and death.
The wood is believed to have protective properties to because of the powerful Dryad spirit that lives within it. When planted near a home, the tree will ward off intruders. The healing powers of the elder are also thought to cure insomnia (by placing elderberries in a spell bag under a pillow) and ensure health of unborn babies (when pregnant women kiss its bark).
ELDER MOON MAGIC
Use the powers of the elder tree to bring a sense of completion to the old year and feeling of renewal for the start of the next cycle.
Bring a sense of completion to your Celtic lunar year.
- Review the last 13 Moons, writing down what you have learned from each. Acknowledging your lessons helps you move on.
- Areas of your life that are unfulfilled indicate stuck energy. Hold quartz and direct love toward your current job, cramped apartment or credit card bill. New opportunities will appear as if by magic.
- Resolve difficult relationships by writing a letter to the soul of the person with whom you are in conflict – this helps to clear the way for change. Then burn the letter.
Upon reaching the end of the Celtic calendar, the Elder Moon month is the perfect time to release negative energies before entering the New Year, feeling renewed.
1. Dig a hole in the ground and say, “Mother Earth, I ask you to transform my pain into healing.”
2. Place a photo of yourself and a drawing, or written account, of any negative incidents into the hole.
3. Speak or shout your feelings into the hole.
4. When you feel ready, place an elder twig into the hole to represent the end of the cycle.
5. Fill in the hole and stamp the earth down three times saying, “I release the past, so let it be.”
Use this charm to repel unwanted attention and harassment during the party season.
2. Light the candle saying, “White light surround me, safe will I stay.”
3. Drip the wax onto one of the elder twigs and press your hair into it before it dries.
4. Surround the twig with the others, making a small magical bundle.
5. Secure it with the white ribbon saying, “As I will it, so let it be.”
6. Slip the protection charm into your party handbag and you’re ready to go.
Elder Tree Blessing
1. Gather together some elderberries and leaves.
2. Face the north and say, “I call upon the guardians of the earth to bless this place.” Throw some elderberries and leaves towards the north.
3. Turn to the east and repeat the ritual, this time calling upon the guardians of air.
4. Turn to the south and repeat, calling upon the guardians of fire.
5. Finally, turn to the west and all upon the guardians of water.
6. End by randomly scattering the remaining leaves and release the energy.
“Enhancing Your Body, Mind and Spirit”, 21 Nature Magic, CARD 17.
Celticradio.net, “Celtic Zodiac: The Elder“.
The Goddess Tree, “Elder“.
Spiritblogger.wordpress.com, “Spirit Message of the Day – Creative Renewal Cycle“.