The Celtic lunar month of Holly is the perfect time to celebrate your achievements and to focus on your future.
As the days shorten after summer solstice and the Moon grows in power, focus on putting bad situations behind you.
The eighth Celtic Moon month ushers in the shortening of days. The power of the Sun is transferred to Earth, highlighting our practical needs and desires. The Celtic fire festival of Lammas begins the harvest on August 1, so the month of the Holly Moon is a time to give thanks for the good things in your life. Focus on your own “harvest” during the month of Holly – on what you wish to achieve and why.
Share Your Successes
Traditionally, the first gain harvested was baked into a loaf that represented the spirit of the crop, or “John Barleycorn” as it is called in England. This bread was shared in a ceremony to ensure the wealth of community.
Use this month to celebrate your successes with family and friends and to consider sharing your good fortune with others.
PROTECTION AND RENEWAL
The holly is magically imbued with powers of protection. In England, it was believed to protect against witchcraft and to guard homes against being struck by lightning. Its evergreen leaves symbolize renewal and recovery during the dark half of the year and ward against envy and the misuse of power.
The planetary rule of holly is Mars, which bestows upon the tree the ability to restore direction in your life, to rebalance and align energy, and to help you gain a sense of purpose.
In Pagan tradition, men carry sachets of holly leaves and berries, which will enhance their masculinity due to the tree’s restorative and energizing powers.
HOLLY MOON MAGIC
Use the magical blessings of the Holly Moon to celebrate and share the good things in your life and to increase your future fortune and success.
Holly Harvest Loaf
During the Holly Month, invite the blessings of John Barelycron into your home by baking your own magical harvest loaf. Simply follow the steps below:
1. Prepare some bread dough from flour, yeast, oil, honey, water and salt, and leave it to rise in a warm place for an hour.
2. Sprinkle some seeds and nuts on top of the dough to symbolize each blessing in your life, such as a comfortable home or supportive family. Focus on these positive things as you knead the dough.
3. Shape the dough into a roundish loaf and place on a baking sheet.
4. Before baking it, place your hands on top of the dough and try to visualize golden light channeling into it.
5. Then say, “John Barleycorn, I give you thanks for all I have received. Blessed be.”
6. When baked, bury the first slice of the loaf in the ground and whisper your wishes for the future.
7. Share the rest of the loaf with your friends and family and celebrate your abundance.
Holly Money Spell
One the full Moon, hold up some paper money to use the moonlight and recite the spell below.
“Lady Bright, Lady Bright,
Harvest abundant dreams tonight.
Three times three times three
Prosperity return to me.”
Give the money to charity, and in return, the positive energy of holly will provide you with the funds you need over the coming months.
Time to Reenergize
The spirit of renewal is the month of the Holly Moon makes it an excellent time to reenergize your life.
- Tune into the energies of your environment by eating-rich seasonal foods, preferably foods that are locally produced.
- Use holly’s influence to rise to physical challenges and overhaul your personal fitness by joining a gym or taking up a martial art.
Harvest of Friends
Meals to Share
Ask everybody to bring a dish that they have prepared, and cover the table with a gold cloth to signify the wealth in your life. For the centerpiece, place an arrangement of holly and wheat around a candle to represent the harvest spirit.
Once your guests have arrived, give thanks to Mother Earth for the food that She has provided: “Let us eat that none shall know hunger. Let us drink that none shall know thirst.” During this meal, discuss what it is that you wish to harvest in your life.
“Enhancing Your Body, Mind and Spirit”, 21 Nature Magic, CARD 12.
The Goddess Tree, “Holly“.