Healing is in the air during the Celtic Month of Willow, inviting you to open your heart and express your emotions.
During this time of April showers, the watery month of the Willow Moon teaches you to release pent-up emotions and experience your grief. Tears are linked to healing, and as you express difficult and painful feelings, you are able to purge yourself of subconscious fears. The Willow Moon offered a healing month to the Celts, who literally spring-cleaned themselves in steamy saunas, known as sweat lodges, in readiness for the Beltane festival at the start of May.
This month is the perfect time to perform lunar magic and to let go of the past. Cast spells to restore and nurture during the waxing Moon and to release problems during the waning Moon. Drinking more water will help you attune to the Willow Moon and so enable you to connect to the tree’s water magic.
HEALING AND BLESSING
The willow is imbued with the power of the Moon, and so it has always been particularly linked with witchcraft. The traditional witches’ broom is bound with a willow branch, and lunar wands used specifically for Moon magic are made of willow wood.
The willow’s close ties to the Moon and tides also connect it to affairs of the heart. An old English tradition involved jilted lovers wearing a sprig of willow in their hats, which originated from an ancient willow charm to heal a broken heart.
It was also believed that knocking on willow wood would help to banish bad luck, and that the tree’s leaves and bark could be added to healing incense and sachets to further promote health.
Focus on bringing someone round to your way of thinking. Attract love or a new job, or aim to make a good first impression.
WILLOW MOON MAGIC
The Willow Moon provides the perfect time to harness lunar power and energy for wishing spells, divination, healing and protection.
Willow is a good tree for boosting your intuition because of its watery association with the Moon. Try these traditional “willow ways” of using your extrasensory perception!
- Throw your shoe into a willow tree on the new Moon. If it gets stuck you will be married in the next 12 months, but if it falls you will remain single. you can try this eight times, if you do not get the desired result the first time!
- Sleep with willow leaves under your pillow on the night of the full Moon to have a psychic dream.
- Burning the bark and leaves of willow with sandalwood, outside during the waning Moon, will help you see spirits.
Planting a willow tree in your yard will banish bad luck from your home.
You Will Need:
- Willow branch
- Spring water
- A clear quartz crystal
- A lock of your hair
1. On the new Moon, dig a hole and place the quartz crystal inside it.
2. Call upon the blessing of the Earth Mother with the following incantation: “Earth to earth, in power and love grow.”
3. Add the lock of your hair, to bring your own energies to the spell, and say, “I welcome you.”
4. Place the willow branch in the hold and refill the earth around it.
5. Shower the covered earth with the spring water while saying this chant: “Water to water, in power and love grow.”
6. Water the buried branch each day until it is strong.
Moon Water Spell
This willow tree ritual should be performed outside and can be used to make a wish, or heart’s desire, some true.
1. At the time of the full Moon go to a shallow river or stream where willow trees grow.
2. Stand with your feet in the water and hold your arms up to the Moon.
3. Visualize moonlight flooding your aura, filling your body with each breath.
4. Recite this incantation: “Lady Moon of wax and wane, bring my wish and take my pain.”
5. Perform an act of ritual purification by washing your hands in the water by the roots of the tree.
6. Focus on your wish and tie a knot with a string around a willow branch to seal it. When your wish comes true, untie the knot.
Use this charm during the Willow Moon to support your recovery from past bereavement or heartbreak.
You Will Need:
- White spell bag
- Willow leaves
- Willow bark
- Moonstone crystal
1. Harvest the bark and the leaves on the full Moon, leaving a strand of hair as an offering of thanks.
2. Hold up the moonstone and say “Mother Moon, Fair thou art, may your radiance heal my heart.”
3. Place all the ingredients in the bag, tying three knots to seal it, saying, “By the power of three so let it be.”
“Enhancing Your Body, Mind and Spirit”, 21 Nature Magic, CARD 9.
The Blue Roebuck, “Willow“.
Celtic Radio, “Celtic Zodiac: The Willow“.
The Goddess Tree, “Willow“.